Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Criminal Lawyer > > Gary Gerson Advice > Do you have questions about travel restrictions?

Do you have questions about travel restrictions?

Many of my clients express to me that once their cases are over and done with, they would like to leave the area and start over a new life somewhere different. This makes sense because when people learn from their mistakes, they often decide that the environment in which they live is not conducive to a crime-free life. In my years of experience as a Pittsburgh criminal defense lawyer, I can understand this request. By being confined to the a certain county or state, many people often fall back in with their old crowds and end up committing crimes again. Unfortunately, the law would rather keep its eye on you and keep you close than let you go somewhere else to begin a new life. Having travel and moving restrictions are a fact of life for many people who have been convicted of a felony. Usually, the judge presiding over your case will impose such restrictions as a condition of the terms of your probation. Travel restrictions can also include going to certain types of places or being around types of buildings. Examples of this include not being allowed to be around a shopping mall if you’re busted for retail theft, or not being allowed within a certain distance of a school if you are arrested and charged with crimes associated with children. Some of those convicted with federal crimes are able to leave the state to go on vacation or visit a relative, but those cases are few and far between and the convicted may have to jump through hoops of paperwork to be granted such a request. There are also certain times when a person can be granted special permission to move out of the county in which they committed the crime, but again, those instances are uncommon and generally require piles of paperwork and expenses. Travel restrictions can seriously thwart the efforts of an ex-convict to work on a better life for themselves and their families. Unfortunately, this is too often the case and although it might be in your best interest and in the best interest of the community in which you live to leave the area, the strong arm of the law can keep you stuck here for a long time. If you have questions about travel restrictions because of a crime for which you have been arrested, call Pittsburgh criminal defense attorney Gary Gerson at 412-219-6875 today.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Our Location

Map Location 304 Ross Street, Suite 600
Pittsburgh PA 15219
local 412-219-6875 Get Directions

Request a Consultation

Contact Us Today!
* All Fields Required Contacting The Law Offices of Gary E. Gerson through this website does not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information sent is not protected by attorney-client privilege.